MENTOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
Mentors must be full-time undergraduate students with a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.9/4.0.; and have been at the Storrs Campus for at least one year.
A. Attendance of trainings and retreats.
–Spring Retreat 2020 – April 5, 2020
–Fall Retreat 2020 on Wednesday, August 26th – Friday, August 28rd 2020 (full-day program)
–Asian/Asian American Kickoff on Sunday, August 30, 2020
–Attend an approximately 30 minute long meeting with the AMP coordinators towards the end of the semester (Date: TBD)
–Mid-Year Mentor Conference (MYMC)/ Spring Kickoff in January/February 2021 – TBD
B. Maintain regular contact with your mentees
–Meet with your assigned mentees a minimum of 4 times per semester
–Complete required reports on UConntact after each meeting
C. Enroll in AASI 3995/INTD 3998: The Asian American Experience (required for new mentors.)
–AASI 3995/ INTD 3998 is a 3-credit class offered in the Fall semester
–Class meeting date/time TBD
D. Meet with the AMP Coordinators
–Schedule at least 1 one-on-one meeting with the AMP Coordinators per semester
F. Attend a minimum of 5 Events; 1 AsACC event, 2 AMP events, and 1 WRAAPN event per semester.
–Fill out attendance forms, located by the AMP office, during approved events
–Asiantation Kick-offs and AMP Socials are NOT eligible for completion of this requirement
G. Assist in the development and facilitation of AMP events.
H. Assist as a facilitator in a newly developed mentee class.
I. Act as a role model and resource to all mentors and mentees.
J. Other duties as assigned.
–>Attend Fall Asian/Asian American Kick-Off (Date: August 30th, 2020)
–> Meet with your AMP Mentor at least 4 times per semester
–>Attend ‘AMP Time!’ Events per semester
–>Attend an approximately 30 minute long meeting with the AMP coordinators and other mentees towards the end of the semester (Date: TBD)
–>Attend Spring Kick-Off (Date: TBD, beginning of the Spring semester)
40 ACTIVITIES TO DO WITH YOUR MENTEES
- Going to the UConn Dairy Bar
- Going to Downtown Storrs to check out one of the shops/restaurants there
- Going to the UConn Ice Skating Rink together
- Going off-campus to the mall or to WalMart or a restaurant or bowling or mini golf or Six Flags or to a city like Boston or NYC or Hartford…etc.!
- Attending a UConn concert
- Attending a performance/play at Jorgensen together
- Doing Oozeball together
- Attending a food fundraiser with your mentees
- Go on an Alternative Spring Break or any Alternative Break trip together! (Do a community service project together)
- Playing Frisbee, or tennis, or other sports together
- Going to every dining hall in one day or over the course of a week
- Doing a Campus Tour of all of their classes
- Helping them move in on Friday (or Saturday)
- Attending an athletic event together (Soccer game, Football game, Basketball game, Hockey game, etc.)
- Attending an acapella concert together
- Attending LipSync together
- Attending Homecoming Parade together
- Creating a Facebook group or message thread with you and all of your mentees
- Meeting up at least once a week at the same time/day of the week
- Studying together in the library
- Going to AMP Events together!
- Going to AsACC or WRAAP Events together
- Going to Late Night together
- Cooking together at AsACC!
- Joining a Student Organization together or at least going to the first intro meeting together
- Going to the first LipSync Dance Practice together
- Going to a game room together
- Having phone calls with your mentees (if you can’t meet up that week or that day)
- Going to Horsebarn Hill or Mirror Lake to have a picnic
- Creating a “UConn Bucket List” and completing it together
- Going to the gym (badminton or basketball, etc.)
- Planning activities with other mentors and their mentees
- Visiting all of the cultural centers together with your mentees
- Based on your mentee’s hobbies, check out a student organization or way to explore that hobby together (if they like drawing, check out Art Club; if they like piano, check out the Music Building!, etc.)
- If you feel comfortable, introduce your mentees to your friends at UConn!
- Get Grab and Go Together AND THEN go on a picnic
- When it’s time to pick classes, pick them together so you can help them out
- Go sledding together on snow days
- Go to Midnight Breakfast together
- Going to Asian Nite together