Alumni Spotlight: Nicole Fink

89

Class of 2010: Individualized Major, Psychology & Asian Americans in the U.S. Legal System
Class of 2012: Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW)

Interviewer: Sally Park
AsACC Student Staff Member
Class of 2016: Communication Major

What did you do post-graduation from UConn? 

When I graduated, I was torn between going to law school or getting my Masters of Social Work because I was very interested in policy and community work. After consulting with Angela, Sheila, Cathy Schlund-Vials and my family members, I decided to attend the UCONN School of Social Work with a concentration in Community Organization. During my time at UCONN SSW, I worked at Asian Family Services, a program of Community Renewal Team, Inc. and the United Nations. After I received my Masters of Social Work, I decided to pursue my law degree. Now, I currently attend New England Law in Boston.

I also currently am serving a three-year term as the Board of Director for the East Coast Asian American Student Union (ECAASU). ECAASU is the largest and oldest student intercollegiate nonprofit. Its mission is to inspire, educate, and empower those interested in AAPI issues.

Where have you worked and where do you currently work? 

I currently am a Rappaport Fellow in Law and Public Policy at Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee (MHLAC). MHLAC is an independent state agency that represents low-income persons with mental health disabilities and provides information on mental health legal matters to people throughout the Commonwealth, clinicians, family members, the judiciary, and the legislature. My current work is involved on a public policy level. In addition to providing assistance and advocacy to clients who call MHLAC for assistance through our intake line, I also am involved with organizing to pass a law that makes it more difficult to arrest students for nonviolent behavior, as well as representing mental health concerns in the healthcare field within the State Legislature. Prior to law school, I completed two year-long internships at the United Nations advocating for social development and girls rights, and as well as at Asian Family Services, a program of Community Renewal Team, Inc.

What was your major?

I was a double major in Psychology and an Individualized Major called “Asian Americans in the U.S. Legal System.”

Did you live on campus while you were a student? 

I lived in North for two years, Charter Oak Apartments and then Hilltop Apartments.

How often do you visit? Have you been back to campus since graduation?

When I lived in Connecticut and had a car during my MSW program, I would visit Storrs at least once a month for AsACC programs. However, since moving to Boston, I have been to Storrs only once for the Kal Penn event.

What were you involved in while in undergrad?

During undergrad, I was involved Kids & UCONN Bridging Education (KUBE) and served as co-coordinator. I also was involved with collaboration events with the AACC and the Rainbow Center such as serving as a panelist on the Faces of Diversity Panel. I was a staff member at AsACC and was an employee of UCONN Recreational Services.

What advice do you have for current students? 

Life is what you make of it. Don’t sit by and expect things to be handed to you. If you are unhappy or not satisfied with something, then change it. You have the power to make a difference in your life and potentially another life as well.

What are some of your memorable moments at UConn? 

Some of the most memorable moments I had at UCONN were with my friends that I made at AsACC. However, my most memorable moment as AsACC was finding my identity and finding my sense of self. I was very conflicted about who I was and what I wanted to do, and AsACC helped put everything into perspective for me.

What did you enjoy about AsACC? 

I enjoyed the second home that I found at AsACC. I loved having a place to go and having three pillars of support when I needed it through Angela, Sheila and the GA at the time (Kenny or Merz).

What do you miss most about it? 

The thing that I miss the most is being around students who are just as passionate as I was about the issues. There is nothing like the enthusiasm of a college student, and being with other like-minded college students who feel the same way you do, is extremely special.

How did your involvement in AsACC impact your life?

My involvement at AsACC actually shaped my future career. Coming into UCONN, I wanted to be a corporate attorney, however after being involved with AsACC, I learned about the issue affecting the AAPI community. As a result, I no longer want to be a corporate attorney but a public interest attorney representing the AAPI community’s needs on an individual and political level. It has also encouraged me to be involved with the community, which is why I serve on the Board for ECAASU, and several other organizations here in Boston.

Sally and AsACC would like to Nicole for sharing both her insight and experiences with us!